Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day's 2-3

I have been in France for just about three days now. It is amazing here, the views, sights, smells, and people. So far it's truly an amazing experience here at the American Pavilion. The team of mentors we have here are amazing, they come from all different backgrounds in the industry. Not just film people, others work with getting rights to music, and others are still photographers for big budget pictures! It's crazy here.

Yesterday we went to the Cannes College which was great, we sat through some wonderful Q&A's with the woman who runs the Marche du Film ( Film Market ) and we also had the director of the Cannes Classics. Which is a subsection of the festival that shows "classic" films. He stated it gives people opportunities to see films they may never get to see in their lifetime. Which is a great opportunity for film makers like us, to see classics that may never be seen again. These two Q&A's were a wealth of information, they really opened my eyes to Cannes and how much truly goes on here! It's such a surreal experience to be here, and I am enjoying it. I want to make the best of it, and you know what I WILL.

The festival itself seems very overwhelming, so much is going on at once. I am not really sure what I will be doing at all times. We did get our job postings today so that we all know what we are doing and when we are on. I am going to be at the Ampav Membership area, which in a sense is like being a glorified bouncer. You make sure the people who are on the list get in, and those who are not stay out. I had lunch with a few co-workers of mine today, basically other kids placed in this area, they were extremely nice. We shared some laughs and talked film. It was really nice just to get to know them.

Also on a side note I am participating in a SUPER 8 project. This means me and other students from the Pavilion have the opportunity to shoot a 1 reel project on Super 8 film that will premiere at the festival and then kodak will use after word to promote the rebirth of Super 8 film. 

The festival itself starts tomorrow, and is going to draw LOTS and when I says lots I mean a TON of people. They are going to be from all over the world, and most are here for similar reasons I am as well. We all want to see how the business functions, along with what occurs behind the scenes. It's such a wonderful opportunity to be at this festival.

Also on another side note I went on an adventure to find some playoff hockey cause there was a rumor it was going to be on. The group of brave souls included Jake Myself and two of our mentors. Sadly we did not fan the game but took in Cannes in all its marvelous glory. The walk was great and really allowed me to get to know these two mentors on a more personal level. I will post a reflection on this walk later.


Till Next Time

No comments:

Post a Comment